Monday, October 10, 2011

Gender Identity.

Well - I will be the first to admit that I love DWTS (Dancing with the Stars - for those NOT in the KNOW).  I was thrilled to see that this season they asked Chaz Bono to be a celebrity.  Of course, I was fully in support of this choice - but others in the right wing world of anti-diversity didn't like having a transgendered man on the show.  But Chaz stuck with the controversy and is dancing - or well trying to dance.  But his dancing or lack there of is not of issue in my book - because, he really can't dance.

While we were watching, I told Seema that he used to be a girl - WHAT! Yup, a girl and we used the internet to show her the transformation.  That all was fine with her and again chalked up to freedom of choices in America. 

But - the other day while watching, Seema asked me if I was happy that I was a girl... I have to admit that I have never been asked this nor thought about being a different gender.  I like being a girl and I like boys. 

Then - I asked her, are YOU happy being a girl and her answer, yes, because I get to live with you.  I thought, that is great for a year!  But what about at home in Pakistan where women / girls live under such strict rules and must have a man's presence or approval to do many things that in America we take for granted - going shopping, driving, school and more.  Now - in my head, I am thinking - of course you would prefer to be a man under these circumstances, I know I would in a heart beat... but, her answer, NO - I am used to it.

Perspective.  I am still happy to be a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com